Cash and space for ‘BOLD’ new work, with and for the artists and communities of Brimbank.
Opening 28 Feb: Visit https://brimbank.smartygrants.com.au/BeBold22 to apply.
VIEW THE GUIDELINES
What are the Be Bold Residencies?
Artists are invited by the Bowery Theatre to submit an application for the 2022-23 Be Bold Residencies. A Be Bold Residency provides a professional development, creative development and performance space for artists to make and present new work in the Bowery Theatre and St Albans Community Centre (STACC) with and for the Brimbank community.
A Be Bold Residency supports:
- Artistic merit in the presentation of bold, creative concepts and ideas;
- Process-driven arts practice and risk taking in making new, contemporary performance work;
- Work with potential for future presentations;
- Artistic and professional development for artists;
- Meaningful community engagement;
- Development of new, local audiences; and
- Work that is reflective of the cultural identity of Brimbank.
Four Residency Categories
In 2022-23, we have been able to grow our support and we have four residency categories:
- Mid-career or Established Performing Artist/s
- Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander Performing Artist/s
- Hybrid: Performance and Visual Artist/s
(presentations will incorporate both performance and visual art forms, with outcomes in the theatre and gallery)
- Emerging Artist/s (usually considered within the first five years of their arts practice or establishment)
What’s on offer?
For the Mid-career or Established Artists, Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander Artist/s and Hybrid: Performance and Visual Artist/s categories, up to $12,000 cash contribution will be awarded per residency.
For the Emerging Artist/s category, up to $4,000 cash contribution will be awarded per residency.
This is to cover artist/s fees, trainer/mentor fees, production costs, marketing and administration costs (no more than 10% of the cash contribution for administration).
In addition, the following support will be available to successful applicants, with agreement of the Theatre Programming Senior Officer:
- Co-presentation of the residency’s performance outcome
- 50/50 box office split on ticketed presentations
- Up to $5,500 in kind technical and front of house staff support (see example budget breakdown)
- 2 full days (7 hours) access to the Bowery for performance plus up to four additional rehearsal / bump in and out / tech days (between 5 to 7 hours each) in the Bowery leading up to the performance
- Up to 80 hours in STACC community spaces – these are subject to availability with larger flexi spaces only available on weekends
- Bowery tech staff / producer / marketing support
- Print and online marketing commensurate with Bowery mainstage programming
- Box office setup
Applications open: Monday 28 February 2022.
Information session / venue tour: Monday 28 March 2022 at 6pm. RSVP to email@example.com
Applications close: By 5pm on Thursday 19 May 2022 (extended deadline)
Decisions announced: June 2022
Agreements finalised: August 2022
Residency activity: Between 1 October 2022 and 31 May 2023
Acquittal Due: 14 June 2023
Who is eligible to apply?
To apply for funding you must:
- Be incorporated OR
be an individual artist with an ABN OR have an Auspice
- Have Public Liability Insurance cover for the duration of the project
- Have acquitted or be compliant with all grants previously awarded by Council (if applicable)
- Have a NEW project or NEW stage of a project
- Have a performance-based project with a performance outcome in The Bowery Theatre (and if in the hybrid category, an outcome in the gallery as well)
- Have a project that commences after 1 October 2022 and is completed by 31 May 2023
Check out our 2020-21 Artists.
Check out our 2021-22 Artists.